The original 1958 school received a major stand-alone building addition in 1971 and minor modernizations occurred in 1990/1991. Generally, the original 1958 structure was seldom used by the actual High School.
The intent of this project was to modernize and expand the school while following 21st century learning environments principles. The succeeding design solution was based on the following project needs:
The scope of this project included a major modernization (mechanical, electrical, site improvements, code upgrades, barrier free upgrades, hazardous materials abatement, and program upgrades) of the Bonnyville Centralized High School original permanent core (4,950 m²). The modernization included a demolition of the original 1958 gym, partial demolition of the permanent core area, plus an addition of 1,164 m² to allow the school to accommodate a built-out capacity of 550 students.