The modernization and addition of Highlands K-9 School consists of a modernization to the main and second floors of the original 1914 building. It also includes the demolition and replacement of the 1954 addition with a two storey building with new programmatic spaces and a new Gymnasium; new parking lot and drop off loop off 118th Avenue, and new staff parking lot and related site work. The existing building has undergone a complete mechanical and electrical services upgrade with associated finishes upgrades.
The two-storey concept allows for the accommodation of the desired student capacity within an efficient footprint. The new building connects to the existing by way of strategically placed stairs and ramps to overcome height differentials with a new elevator incorporated into the design to meet current accessibility requirements. The building is designed to target a LEED Silver rating. The exterior finishes will consist of a combination of different wall finishes and curtain wall with heritage features retained wherever possible. The design incorporates the use of aluminum windows and clerestories for interior natural day lighting and layout flexibility.